Hero Honda Splendor

...tear drop tank. That's what the fuel tank was described as on the brochure. I got it some time October 1994 and I was really proud to ride it around. Splendor was relatively new on the streets and the color- metal grey -was a real attraction. I still remember someone asking me if the bike was imported. The engine was extremely smooth. The exhaust note was deep and confident. The acceleration was smooth and effortless. The dashboard was simple and neat. Fuel consumption was unbelievable 70+ kilometers per liter.

Splendor, Gulveer and Shivagange

My first out-station trip was to Shivagange. Soon more out-station trips followed;
  • Savandurga
  • Shravanbelogola
  • Devarayanadurga
  • Nandi Hills
  • Mekedatu
  • Bangalore - Hospet - Hampi - Pattadkal - Aihole - Bijapur - Solapur - Bidar - Bijapur - Jamkhandi - Dharwad - Goa - Udupi - Mangalore - Ballupet - Bangalore
...and some more I cannot recall. All these trips were with Gulveer.


During the 13 day tour of Karnataka, we rode about 2700km mostly between 50 and 60kmph. Occasionally we would hit 80 kmph for a change. During the entire trip we filled fuel 3 or 4 times. Hero Honda truly lived up to it's words; Fill it. Shut it. Forget it.

@ 24000km in 1998 I sold my Splendor. I still regret it.

.........
◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
eXTReMe Tracker
 

Copyright 2011 Journeys to temple is proudly powered by blogger.com