Stone Age Megalithic Tomb of Bachangudda

I made up my mind to visit Bachangudda's Megalithic Port-hole Chamber when I read about it the World Heritage Series booklet on Pattadakal published by Archeological Survey of India.

Dec 16, 2011.

...coming from Hulgyemmanakolla with Ganganagouda Dhanagouda Hadimani. We stop on Badami-Pattadkal near Malkajigouda Channagiuda's house. I thank him for his time, exchange phone numbers and say bye. I wanted to thank Malkajigoudar for introducing me to Ganganagoudar but he was not home, he had work in his fields. As told I drove on and stopped at another village. The two men I spoke to were carpenters, the older person told the younger man to take me to the spot. Barely a kilometer up the road my guide asked to stop- there it is.


This prehistoric monument is just 30 feet from the road, yet I failed to notice it during my previous visits to Pattadakal :(


This structure is supposed to have been constructed during the Early Iron Age i.e. about 3000 years ago.


The booklet describes this structure as a north-south oriented double chambered large tomb, oblong in plan and built with pinkish granite stone slabs. The chamber is divided into two parts by the vertical slab with a squarish port-hole. Originally a heap of stones covered the exterior upto the capstone and thus looked like a hemispherical mound but acts of vandalism has reduced it to the present condition.


Notice how close it is to the road?


I made a short video of this prehistoric tomb.


I thank my guide and offered to drop him back. He insisted to walk back. I drive off towards Pattadakal.

.........
◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
eXTReMe Tracker
 

Copyright 2011 Journeys to temple is proudly powered by blogger.com